Sleepless Media is looking for an experienced, passionate Project/Account Manager hybrid to join our team.
Please note: This is an in-house position, we are not looking for an out-of-house contractor, or remote staff member. We will be considering options for a full or part time employee, or a contract-basis to start.
Sleepless Media is a small but busy design agency based in Santa Cruz California that’s been in business since 2003. We’re not a start-up, we’re a well-established pillar in the area that is always evolving. We’re obsessed with thoughtfully crafting complete brand experiences anchored around custom, responsive websites. With a heavy focus on customer experience, we thrive on working with passionate clients who are excited about growing their businesses and realizing their brand’s true potential.
About the Position:
As one of our project managers, the ideal candidate would be based in the Santa Cruz area and be involved in key projects from start to finish. This person should be comfortable working as a part of a small team that collaboratively handles strategy, design, development and more. Working closely with our creative director, designers and developers, you’ll also collaborate heavily with our clients as their main point of contact. This requires you to act as both a project and account manager. Managing and elegantly balancing client expectations and team workload is a big part of the job, while delivering both verbal and written client communications in a swift, professional and unstuffy manner.
We have a few different design/development processes that are used depending on the size and complexity of a given project. Taking both cues from the Agile methodologies and Waterfall, we don’t believe there’s any one-size-fits-all solution to the kinds of custom work we do. We’re never afraid to try new processes and refine them accordingly.
The ideal candidate will have the following responsibilities and qualities:
- An explicit eye for detail and an OCD-like mindset for organizing, scheduling and consistently executing. You have to love that stuff.
- Impeccable memory and skill retention, regularly learning new skills and techniques relating to the field.
- Excellent communication, note taking and typing skills.
- Setting and reinforcing both internal and external expectations, keeping both our clients and our team happy and accountable.
- Keeping daily/weekly/monthly tabs on budgets, timelines, and client needs.
- Assistance with accounts receivable, issuing invoices, etc.
- Pre-sales calls and meetings.
- Ownership of the projects, their success, and profitability. You can independently complete projects without direction when required, and work efficiently to stay within budgets.
- Experience and/or familiarity with different project/product process methodologies.
- The drive to regularly look for creative ways to be more efficient and to improve communication to benefit our clients, the projects and the team.
- Experience with internal project management systems, onboarding projects and using the tools and data to evaluate and generate reports.
- Scoping, estimating, administrating and orchestrating client requests in an efficient and timely manner.
- A basic understanding of SEO with motivation to become well-versed.
- Scheduling and facilitating weekly conversations with multiple clients in person or remotely via Gotomeeting.
- Setting the proper tone and being comfortable with leading meeting agendas both individually and with your team.
- Confidence in presenting work on behalf of the team to the client, and can clearly communicate and defend your team’s decisions.
- Looking for creative ways to be more efficient and to improve communication to benefit the project.
- A intense passion for avoiding scope creep.
- QA of deliverables, ensuring that we deliver an in-scope, on-time, polished product.
- You are up to date on the latest trends, methods, and tools in web design and regularly consume blogs, books and articles related to managing projects of this nature.
- Ability to train clients on administration panels.
- A basic understanding of user experience / interaction design.
- Self motivated with the ability to self manage.
- Expert in Adobe CC, most specifically Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign.
- Experience with using backend content management systems and ecommerce applications (WordPress, Shopify, etc.)
- You are excited to collaborate and experiment with new ideas and approaches to unique challenges.
- Good judgement and the ability to face difficult conversations head-on.
- A keen knack for making things happen.
- You are always looking to take the next project to the next level.
- Design, development or programming knowledge or background.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch.app, etc.
- Experience working with a team in a fast-paced design studio or design department of a company.
- Social Media Expertise.
- You’re a fan of good coffee, good food and working with small businesses that are striving to do something great.
- Appreciation for working in the Santa Cruz area, in a great space with an awesome team.
- A thick skin and a good sense of humor, we like to joke around and don’t want to walk on eggshells.
- Work in Downtown Santa Cruz, within walking distance to food, shopping and the beach.
- Full Health & Dental insurance benefits for full-time employees.
- Generous time off and flexibility, including paid holidays.
- Paid vacation after one year.
- Retirement plan options + contributions after one year.
- Competitive salaries, depending on experience.
- Up to 40 hours per week. We work 9ish to 6ish, with regular ol’ 8 hour days, with the goal of getting off early on Friday’s as we wrap up the week.
- We work reasonable hours and strive for a work/life balance. Yeah, we’ll want to meet our deadlines, but we’ll all get out of the office by 6 pm and never work on weekends. Want to go back east to see mom for a week? We got you.
- Beer Fridays and staff lunches whenever we can find the time and things are going good.
- Some of the best coffee in town and a clean, well-stocked office that rarely smells like some weird old food someone made yesterday.
- No one in the office will refer to you as “bro”, unless maybe they are joking.
- All Mac office, yours will be sweet.
- Good ol’ sit-down desks and comfortable chairs, like your dad was accustomed to.
- Free parking, right in front of the office. Absolutely zero possibility of getting a ticket or not finding parking.
- Pet free zone – no dander, hair or barking. (We love dogs, but yeah, not here.)
- No reclaimed wood in sight.
- Absolutely nothing on tap.
- You’ll laugh. A lot.
To apply for this position, please email us at email@example.com and include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Links to samples of your work, including web site addresses where applicable and your exact contribution and role in them.
- Your current pay expectations
- Your salary history
- At least 4 references
- When you would be able to start
- Amount of hours per week you would be available and any flexibility you may have in getting started
- Any upcoming trips you have planned within the next 6 months
*Inquiries not including all of the above will not be considered. This is for a local, in-house design position only. No telecommuting. No outsourcing. No companies.