Sleepless Media is looking for a Project/Account Manager hybrid to join our growing team.
Please note: This is an in-house position, we are not looking for an out-of-house contractor or remote staff member. This is a full-time position.
About the Position:
Established in 2003, Sleepless Media is a boutique digital design agency based in Santa Cruz, California. With a heavy focus on customer experience, we specialize in brand strategy, web design, and development for outdoor/adventure, lifestyle, and technology brands on the Shopify and WordPress platforms.
Start date will be within 1-3 weeks once a candidate is selected.
About the Position:
As one of our project managers, the ideal candidate would be based in the Santa Cruz area and be involved in key projects from start to finish. This person should be comfortable working collaboratively as a part of a small team. Working closely with our directors, designers, and developers, you’ll collaborate and communicate with our clients as their main point of contact. This requires you to act as both a project and account manager. Managing and elegantly balancing client expectations and team workload is a big part of the position, while delivering both verbal and written client communications in a swift, professional, and unstuffy manner.
We have a few different design/development processes that are used depending on the size and complexity of a given project. Taking both cues from the Agile and Waterfall methodologies, we don’t believe there’s any one-size-fits-all solution to the kinds of custom work we do. We’re never afraid to try new processes and refine them accordingly.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- An explicit eye for detail and an OCD-like mindset for organizing, scheduling and consistently executing. You have to love that stuff.
- Impeccable memory and skill retention, regularly learning new skills and techniques relating to the field.
- Excellent communication, note-taking, and typing skills.
- Setting and reinforcing both internal and external expectations, keeping both our clients and our team happy and accountable.
- Keeping daily/weekly/monthly tabs on budgets, timelines, and client needs.
- Assistance with accounts receivable, issuing invoices, etc.
- Pre-sales calls and meetings.
- Ownership of the projects, their success, and profitability. You can independently complete projects without direction when required, and work efficiently to stay within budgets.
- The drive to regularly look for creative ways to be more efficient and to improve communication to benefit our clients, the projects and the team.
- Experience with internal project management systems, onboarding projects, and using the tools and data to evaluate and generate reports.
- Scoping, estimating, administrating, and orchestrating client requests in an efficient and timely manner.
- A basic understanding of SEO with the goal to become well-versed.
- Scheduling and facilitating weekly conversations with multiple clients in person or remotely via remote meetings.
- Setting the proper tone and being comfortable with leading meeting agendas both individually and with your team.
- Confidence in presenting work on behalf of the team to the client, and can clearly communicate and defend your team’s decisions.
- A champion at voiding scope creep.
- QA of deliverables, ensuring that we deliver an in-scope, on-time, polished product.
- Up to date on the latest trends, methods, and tools in web design, regularly consume blogs, books and articles related to managing projects of this nature.
- Understanding of backend content management systems and ecommerce applications (WordPress, Shopify, etc.) with the ability to train clients on administration panels.
- A basic understanding of user experience/interaction design.
- Self-motivated with the ability to self manage.
- Good judgment and the ability to face difficult conversations head-on.
- Brand strategy, design, development, and/or programming knowledge or background.
- Experience with design programs, project management software, and tools of the trade.
- Experience working with a team in a fast-paced design studio or design department of a company.
Life at Sleepless:
- The rare opportunity to work right here in the heart of the Santa Cruz area.
- Walking distance to food, shopping, etc.
- Bike to the beach, if that’s your thing
- Competitive pay and bonuses
- 100% Paid health insurance benefits for salaried employees
- Retirement plan w/ employer match
- Paid Vacation, Holidays and a week Christmas thru New Years off.
- Generous flexibility
- Great coffee, espresso, snacks and don’t worry–we’ve got plenty La Croix
- Work-from-Wherever-Wednesdays (Your couch in your PJ’s? By the pool? We got you.)
- Team outings, Beer Fridays, Breakfast Burrito Mondays, and everything in between
To apply for this, please fill out our Job Submission Form.
Expect to include the following information:
- Cover Letter
- Links to samples of your work, including website addresses, and your exact contribution and role in them.
- Your current pay expectations
- At least 3 references
- When you would be able to start
- Any upcoming trips you have planned within the next 6 months
*Inquiries not including all of the above will not be considered. This is for a local, in-house design position only. No telecommuting. No outsourcing. No companies.